Friday, March 6, 2009

POSTING 1 - READING ONLINE



For the very first time, the students of SKBP1023 (UKM) are assigned to a rather excitingly fruitful assignment; Blogging, thanks to the experienced and skilled lecturers! This assignment will certainly be a turning point to most students; including myself, for though we have been exposed to the world of blogging, most of us still lack in confidence and courage to speak our minds through words. Hence, we students are fortunate to be assigned with such a task and would love to see how far we will be able to progress in it! Thus, i am done browsing through the net to analyze the type of material i come across most often. In fact, I have chosen a piece of reading material that I am most in favor of to be shared with the class and my dear bloggers. As required, I have analyzed and stated my opinions based on the reading material. So, STAY TUNED!





Paragraph derived from - http://www.short-stories.co.uk/ (Page 2)




THE WICKER HUSBAND



Later that night, there was a knock on the door of the village tailor. When the tailor opened it, the wicker husband stood outside. 'Lend me a suit,' he said. 'I am getting married in the morning, and I cannot go to church naked.' 'Aaaaaaargh!' yelled the tailor, and ran out the back door. The tailor's wife came out, wiping her hands. 'What's going on?' she said. 'Lend me a suit,' said the wicker husband. 'I am getting married tomorrow, and I cannot go to my wedding naked.' The tailor's wife gave him a suit, and slammed the door in his face. Next, there was a knock on the door of the village shoe-maker. When the shoe-maker opened it, the wicker husband stood there. 'Lend me some shoes,' he said. 'I am getting married in the morning, and I cannot go to church barefoot.' 'Aaaaaaargh!' yelled the shoe-maker, and he ran out the back door. The shoe-maker's wife came out, her hands trembling. 'What do you want?' she said. 'Lend me some shoes,' said the wicker husband. 'I am getting married in the morning, and I cannot go to my wedding barefoot.' The shoe-maker's wife gave him a pair of shoes, and slammed the door in his face. Next, the wicker husband went to the village inn. 'Give me a drink,' said the wicker husband. 'I am getting married tomorrow, and I wish to celebrate.' 'Aaaaaaargh!' yelled the inn-keeper and all his customers, and out they ran. The poor wicker husband went behind the bar, and poured himself a drink. When the ugly girl got to church in the morning, she was mighty pleased to find her husband so handsome, and so well turned-out. When the couple had enjoyed their first night of marriage, the wicker husband said to his wife: 'This bed is broken. Bring me a chisel: I will fix it.'




Interesting? Visit the URL above to complete reading the rest of the story and or other exciting stories online. Why? At least for the fact that it's FREE!



Details:

Based on the paragraph above, I am able to conclude that the particular reading material falls no further from the vicinity of 'Reading For Pleasure'. This simple conclusion was made based on somewhat straightforward grounds.



  • The material is a short story written by Ursulla Wills Jones which is fiction or in other words, an invented story. Thus, there is very little information that one can obtain from this piece of reading material besides the fact that one will be able to expand the knowledge on creative writing and vocabulary.


  • The material is not connected to any factual data and does not give too much room for deep thinking or analyzing. Hence, the material may work as a relaxant for one to relax his/her mind and probably read for leisure.


  • The material does not involve any form of instructions or step-by-step guides to follow. The material is also not very crucial or compulsory for reading which means the reader is not obliged to read the context for any specific purposes. Therefore, it does not fall into the 'Reading for instruction/task completion' category.


  • The material does not appear accessible to simply anybody that bumps into the webpage since one has to go through a search or look for the particular source for reading. Hence, the material does not fall under 'incidental reading' as well.

Based on this clear explanations, it is no doubt that the reading material above comes under the category of 'Reading For Pleasure'. Reading for pleasure tend to be very unlike 'Reading For Information' and the other reading purposes because there is very little effort one has to put in to understand and comprehend the details of the reading material. Despite all that reading done during lessons and for other educational purposes, reading for pleasure gives room for one to relax the mind and may serve as a benefitial pastime. This does not necessarily mean one has to read short stories for pleasure. 'Reading for Pleasure' may include other exciting reading materials such as jokes, comics, e-magazines and other reading materials that may not require too much hassle to understand the context. Besides, it does not burn a hole in your pockets to surf through the net and read as many exhilarating bits and pieces anymore. That's great news! So start clicking your way to reading online and enjoy the benefits technology has granted us with.


-Ms Sheelaa (ELS)-

2 comments:

  1. Ok well done. Where is your music background? try and it will make your blogging experience richer and more interesting to be shared with others. where is your posting 3?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping by a comment Dr.Norizan. My music do not play as a background as I prefer to give my blog guests an option to either turn on or off the music. Hence, it will not play automatically unless enabled. However, the idea of the music turning on by itself when my readers step into my blog sounds like an excellent idea! I am certainly going to work my way through that idea. Thank you Dr. Norizan!

    ReplyDelete